Health libraryBack to health library
Back to school: Homework advice
A bit of your time and attention can make homework easier for your child.
It's probably not a child's favorite part of school, but homework is important—and inevitable.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these tips for making homework easier:
- Make sure a child's workspace is free of clutter and distractions, including television and other electronic devices.
- Show your children you're interested in their work. Re-explain assignments if necessary, and check to see that homework is completed.
- If your child has trouble finishing homework, speak with his or her teacher for ideas on how to help.
- Plan to have your child step away from the books for a few minutes every hour. An occasional break will help rest your child's eyes, neck and brain.
- If you're unable to help a child in a subject, consider getting a tutor. Discuss your options with the child's teacher.