Health libraryBack to health library
One-pot veggie dal
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 jalapeños, diced (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 can (15-ounce) crushed tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup lentils, soaked in water for two hours and drained
10 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In large pot, heat oil and sauté onion, jalapeño (if using), ginger, garlic and curry powder. Combine well and cook until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Stir in water and drained lentils and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are soft enough to mash (adding more water if necessary to extend the cooking time).
- Add salt and spinach and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve over warm brown rice, and garnish with cilantro (optional).
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 330 calories, 12g total fat (1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat), 0mg cholesterol, 45g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 12g dietary fiber, 840mg sodium.
American Institute for Cancer Research